Regardless of your lifestyle and how careful you are with your jewelry, it does need to be cleaned. With some simple daily maintenance and an occasional deep clean, your piece can retain its vibrancy.
- Gemstones can vary widely in best practices for cleaning and care—contact us for help specific to your piece.
- Opal and Turquoise should NEVER be submerged in water, as they are porous. Read this article for more information on how to care for opal and turquoise.
- Plated pieces (like our Grande Band) can be soaked, but don’t use rags or brushes. Rub gently with your fingers only.
After each wear, gently remove makeup and oils that can transfer from your skin to your jewelry by wiping it clean with a soft cloth. If you know you’ve been sweaty that day or think the piece might have product on it (especially sunscreen!), we highly recommend giving it a quick rinse in lukewarm water and then drying it with a soft cloth. Taking your jewelry off and storing it while you sleep will also increase its longevity, as it reduces exposure to air and natural skin oils.
If you know your piece was exposed to large amounts of sunscreen, sweat or any other harmful chemical or product, it’s best to give it a deep clean ASAP (we also recommend giving it a deep clean every dozen wears or so regardless). Here’s the best way to deep clean your piece:
- Get a bowl of warm water and mix in a touch of gentle soap or mild dish soap
- Soak your piece in the bowl for about a minute
- Scrub the chain with an ultrasoft toothbrush, making sure to really get into the gaps where dirt and product like to build up; avoid scrubbing the bar or pendant as it could scratch.
- Rinse under lukewarm water a few times to ensure soap is absent
- Dry extremely well for storage