Tips for Ring Sizing
Measuring your finger may seem simple, but there are quite a few things that can result in an inaccurate measurement. Here are our five tips to help with whatever option you choose for ring sizing:
- Make sure the ring sizer fits over your knuckle. Knuckles can be wider than fingers, so you may need to order a half-size larger to accommodate.
- Temperature can affect sizing. Cold temperatures can cause your fingers to constrict, while extreme heat can cause them to swell.
- Measure the finger you plan on wearing the ring. Sounds obvious, but the same finger on a different hand can vary.
- Salty foods or alcohol can cause swelling. For a more accurate measurement, wait a day or two after drinking or eating salty foods before measuring.
- If you feel like you’re between sizes, order a half-size up—it’s better to have a slightly larger ring to accommodate for that swelling that may come after those salty snack and beer days!
Want to remember your ring size? Print out this sweet pic that we use for fitting models: Write your ring sizes on all the fingers, snap a photo of it and you're set.
Adjustments, Tweaks, and More Ring Sizing Tips
Though knowing your ring size will allow you to purchase most rings without worrying about whether or not they’ll fit, it’s important to note that different styles of rings may fit slightly differently. Keep the following in mind when sizing:
- Wider bands (compared to a dainty stacker band) have less “give” for slipping over your knuckle, so you may need to increase the ring size. Consider ordering a half size larger than you normally would for bands that are 2mm or thicker.
- Stacking rings need to be within half a size of each other to stack well.
- Rings with open bands (such as our wrap rings) are slightly adjustable. You’ll be able to pull the ring apart a touch to adjust the fit, but it only gives you a half size or so before it starts to affect the look of the ring.
If you end up with a ring that doesn't fit, don't fear: Please check out our article on reworking your piece if you have any issues with the size of your ring and we’ll help you find a ring that fits you as perfectly as it looks on your finger!