Tips for Ring Sizing
Measuring your finger may seem simple, but there are quite a few things that can result in an inaccurate measurement. Here are our five tips to help with whatever option you choose for ring sizing:
- Make sure the ring sizer fits over your knuckle. Knuckles can be wider than fingers, so you may need to order a half-size larger to accommodate.
- Temperature can affect sizing. Cold temperatures can cause your fingers to constrict, while extreme heat can cause them to swell.
- Measure the finger you plan on wearing the ring. Sounds obvious, but the same finger on a different hand can vary.
- Salty foods or alcohol can cause swelling. For a more accurate measurement, wait a day or two after drinking or eating salty foods before measuring.
- If you feel like you’re between sizes, order a half-size up—it’s better to have a slightly larger ring to accommodate for that swelling that may come after those salty snack and beer days!
Want to remember your ring size? Print out this sweet pic that we use for fitting models: Write your ring sizes on all the fingers, snap a photo of it and you're set.
Use our printable ring sizer tool
Though there’s room for error because paper templates are subject to slipping and crumpling, we’ve created this handy ring sizer tool as well. So long as you follow the directions closely and are extra careful, it should give you a pretty good idea of your ring size. Just make sure you’re printing at 100% scale (not “stretched to fit”), and double check the measuring tool on the printed PDF with a physical ruler or tape measure just in case.
Adjustments, Tweaks, and More Ring Sizing Tips
Though knowing your ring size will allow you to purchase most rings without worrying about whether or not they’ll fit, it’s important to note that different styles of rings may fit slightly differently. Keep the following in mind when sizing:
- Wider bands (compared to a dainty stacker band) have less “give” for slipping over your knuckle, so you may need to increase the ring size. Consider ordering a half size larger than you normally would for bands that are 2mm or thicker.
- Stacking rings need to be within half a size of each other to stack well.
- Rings with open bands (such as our wrap rings) are slightly adjustable. You’ll be able to pull the ring apart a touch to adjust the fit, but it only gives you a half size or so before it starts to affect the look of the ring.
Still not sure? Don't sweat it: Remember we offer free resizing within 90 days.