Even if you are diligent about making sure your jewelry doesn’t get exposed to product or other harmful chemicals, your body’s natural oils can still cause tarnish over time.
We recommend giving it a thorough clean every dozen wears or so by soaking it in a bowl of warm water and mild dish soap for about a minute and then rubbing it with a cotton rag or soft-bristled brush.
Beyond that, we have a list of other handy tips for helping give your pieces good, long lives:
- After each wear, gently remove makeup and oils that can transfer from your skin to your jewelry by wiping it clean with a soft cloth.
- When getting ready, try to put on your jewelry last to avoid contact with harsh chemicals that can be in things like hairspray or perfume.
- If you had an active day and perspired a lot, it’s especially important to clean off your jewelry.
- Be especially wary of sunscreen! It can cause severe, accelerated tarnishing on your pieces.
- Avoid leaving your jewelry dirty. If you’re not going to wear it for a while, make sure it’s clean.
- Store well-cleaned jewelry in an airtight container such as a ziplock bag.
- Take off your jewelry before you go to sleep—it will do a great deal to help it last longer!
Note: Pieces with opal or turquoise should never get wet. To learn more about caring for these gemstones, check out this article.